Tuesday, March 01, 2005

History of Vegetarianism - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals....

"I once had a sparrow alight on my shoulder for a moment while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."

"I have found repeatedly, of late years, that I cannot fish without falling a little in self-respect. I have tried it again and again. I have skill at it,and, like many of my fellows, a certain instinct for it, which revives from time to time, but always when I have done I feel it would have been better if I had not fished. I think that I do not mistake. It is a faint intimation, yet so are the first streaks of morning."

No comments: